Wednesday, November 5, 2014

I stopped eating food that comes in a package. I’ve never felt better.

 

I have, on more than one occasion, eaten an entire pizza by myself. Like, recently. These moments are not my proudest, but here we are.

Between May and August this year, I ordered pizza delivery for dinner an average of seven times per month. I ordered Italian an average of three times monthly, and healthy (?) helpings of noodles another three.

Lunch burritos were a ritual. My fridge was packed with flavored yogurt, beer, greasy leftovers and half-empty bottles of ranch dressing and Frank’s RedHot. My afternoon snack was a handful of fun-size candy on sale (using the honor system) at my office; breakfast, if I ate it, was usually a bowl of yogurt laced with honey.

So I was more than interested when a co-worker told me she was about to go on Whole30, a 30-day "food cleanse" in which you eat nothing but unprocessed, unrefined, sugar-free food, while also cutting out entire food groups such as dairy and grains (and booze).

My relationship with food has never been what one would call healthy, so a chance to hit the reset button? I’m listening.

The point of Whole30, which was founded by Melissa Hartwig in 2009, is to “end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system,” its promotional materials say. Whether that's what actually happens physiologically, who knows. Everyone's selling something.

For the rest of the story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/11/04/i-stopped-eating-food-that-comes-in-a-package-ive-never-felt-better/

No comments:

Post a Comment